Our friend Rachel at (www.beyondfit.co.uk/@juicymums) has some fab ideas for getting creative and encouraging your little ones to eat their fruit and veggies!
Here she tells us about juicing, scroll down for some yummy recipes to try!
As a Mum, I’m always on the look out for healthy ways to engage my daughter’s taste buds and in my opinion there’s never a better time to get little ones interested in juicing the raw goodness of fruit and vegetables than when they’re old enough to start exploring food for themselves. Juicing extracts the liquid, leaving you with pure nutrients from the produce and this is perfect for getting even the fussiest of children to ingest nutrients they need to grow and thrive.Juicing is perfectly safe to add, in addition, to your child’s normal diet from the age of 2 – many choose to introduce it before this age but for children younger than this, juice should never be a substitute for breast milk.
Dietitians recommend that you dilute the juice with water if you’re giving it to children in large doses because of the natural sugar content. Here at Juicy Mums, we say to use your own judgment on how you wish to give it to your children as you’re often dealing with smaller quantities. Always encourage them to use a straw though to keep those young teeth healthy.
In celebration of Frugi’s name (fruits of the earth in Latin!) here’s my top three juices I love for my daughter and her friends!
The “I’m a cheeky” one
Ingredients: Apple, cucumber, broccoli, kale and lime
This juice is an excellent source of Vitamins A, B, C, K, as well as magnesium, folic acid, potassium, calcium, iron and pectin. It’s a bright green juice that kids will love to make and enjoy.
We love it because;
- Vitamin A plays an important role in vision and bone growth
- Vitamin C helps keep children’s gums healthy and helps the body absorb iron from food sources
Vitamin B helps to maintain a healthy immune system
- Vitamin K helps blood to clot and prevent excessive bleeding
- Folic acid helps to prevent anemia
The ‘’Again, Again” one
Ingredients: Pear, pineapple, celery, broccoli stalk and lemon
Don’t be fooled by this juice not being bright green for optimum goodness- this little gem is a real crowd-pleaser with little ones and parents alike. Packed with Vitamin, A, B, C, K, folate, potassium and beta-carotene, this juice will become a family favourite really quickly.
We love it because:
- Vitamin A promotes normal growth and development
- Vitamin B helps to break down and release energy from food
- Pears help regulate bowel movements
- Celery can help with relaxation and sleep
- Lemon is a natural antiseptic and aids digestion
The “just a bit more” one
Ingredients: Apple, celery, courgette, blackberries and lime
A nutrient explosion that your kids will absolutely love! It’s a purple juice packed with vitamins A, B, C, E, K and folic Acid. It also contains calcium, potassium and iron for an added boost for growing children.
We love it because:
- Vitamin A is excellent for your children’s hair, nails and skin
- Vitamin C helps heals cuts and bruises
- Vitamin E boosts the immune system and helps fight germs
- Calcium is a key building block for strong, healthy bones
- Iron is essential for brain and muscle function