It’s one of our favourite times of the year - the gifts have been unwrapped, the food eaten and the presence of family and friends enjoyed (on Zoom for most of us)… but now what?!
Once the stress of the big day is over and everyone takes a collective deep breath, “Twixmas” – the week between Christmas and New Year – is the perfect time to recharge your batteries. It’s the well-deserved downtime spent together with the kids before they head back to school and another year begins.
Although this year will be a little different with less time spent with family and friends around our tables, it doesn’t need to be spent slumped on the sofa (unless that’s exactly what you want to do!)
This week can sometimes leave parents scratching their heads for ideas of how to keep the kids entertained. For some, it’s all about cosy days spent watching festive films, for others, it’s a chance to get out and about in the fresh air or finish off that DIY project before the start of the new year!
If you’re stuck for some ideas, we’re sharing our Top 10 Things to do with the kids this Twixmas!
1. Enjoy the Great Outdoors… Whether you go for a coast path stomp, explore a local woodland or visit your nearest park, time spent outdoors is perfect to wear the little ones out! Don their Puddle Buster Coats and Welly Boots for some puddle jumping, Den Building or Hedgerow Bingo!
2. Popcorn at the ready! You know that new movie the kids have been begging you to watch? Why not create a cosy nook to watch it all snuggled up in your favourite Frugi PJs. Check out our Frugi Film Fest kit for all you need to make it feel like you’re having a night at the movies!
3. Feeling a bit peckish? Fancy trying a new recipe? Or maybe you’re wondering how to use up any left overs? Take a look at our blog full of yummy recipes for some cooking and baking inspiration!
4. Take some time to write some thank you cards to family and friends who have sent gifts. Encourage the kids to write their own, or write the main message and have them sign it off in their own handwriting – perfect for handwriting practice over the holidays! You could download our Frugi Thank You Cards or create your own!
5. Get crafty! We have lots of ideas of ways to get creative - whether you want to make some Nature-Inspired Crafts, design your own Superhero Mask, sew some cute Fabric Animals or create a Self Portrait that looks just like you!
We love to see what you get up to, so share your arts and crafts masterpieces with us on social @welovefrugi!
6. With Winter upon us we know it can be tricky keeping the kids entertained during dark evenings and wet weekends. Luckily for you, we've made a list of 101 fun things to do indoors with kids – take a look and see what takes your fancy! There's something for the crafters, nature-lovers, mini chefs and more!
7. Find your zen… Whether you’re a bendy Wendy or enjoy taking 5 to recoup every now and then, we have some fab Yoga & Loungewear that’s super soft and perfect for those yoga poses! The holidays can be a hectic time for both parents and little ones, and practicing mindfulness can be really beneficial for bringing us back to enjoy the present moment and taking everything in. Try our Mindfulness Flash Cards and give yourself 5 Frugi Minutes!
8. Whether it’s the new book you’ve been gifted or you’ve chosen a classic to dive into over the holidays, cosy up with a hot chocolate and let your imagination run wild in a good book! You could challenge your little ones to reading a little each day or see if they can finish their book before the holidays are up. Encourage them with our 7 day Reading Chart and Certificate!
10. We often look for ways to improve our lifestyles and habits before a shiny new year begins. This year, why not see if you can make the planet happier by ticking off our Eco-Checklist! See how many you can tick off before the beginning of January or choose a handful to take into the new year with you that you’ll keep up over the coming months!